RECIPE – Vegan Bechamel ( cream sauce )
White ( off white also, used oat milk ) cream sauce took me a little time to master as I was developing my cooking skills. It is one of those things you need to do several times until you have it just right. It is actually quite easy … if you follow the instructions!
For one cup of bechamel.
I normally always make a least two, so just double it if you need more. INGREDIENTS 1 tbsp – plant butter – soya or oil based1 tbsp – white wheat flour – I use strong, but any will do1 cup soya milk* or oat milk 1 pinch of garlic granules or one fresh minced cloveTbsp nutritional yeast ( optional, only if you have it in the cupboard )Pinch of sea salt
*N.B. I like to use soya milk as it has lots of protein and makes the sauce very creamy. METHOD
- Melt the butter on low heat in a small pot.
- Add the flour and make a paste.
- Slowly pour the milk into the pot, a little at a time, and using a whisk or a fork, stir continuously and quickly so the flour paste melts into the milk and you have no lumps.
- Add the rest of the milk, and while still stirring, bring to the boil, it will them thicken. Add the minced garlic or granules and nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt
- Turn off the heat and let it set.
Trick – for lumpy sauce – I use a hand blender and make it all smooth then put it back on the stove and stir until it thickens.