RECIPEConsumé de Cahersiveen
INGREDIENTS5 or 6 cherry tomatoes – whole3 garlic cloves – left whole1 stick of celery – thinly sliced1/2 carrot – cooked whole or halved4 baby new potatoes1 green onion – thinly sliceda drop of olive oila sprinkling of oreganoa few fresh mint leavesa pinch of salt
- Coat the cherry tomatoes and whole garlic cloves in a little olive oil. Put them in a pot on low heat and cook until they have split and have oozed a nice bit of their water.
- Cook the carrot in a one cup of water until soft.
- Cook the baby new potatoes in a cup of water.
- Mix together the tomato and garlic water, the carrot and potato water.
- Add the thinly sliced celery and bring to the boil and simmer.
- Slice the carrot and potato thinly and add to the water
- Add one cup of water … you want a nice wet broth.
- Add the green onion and a little salt. taste to see if it needs more.
- Chop the mint and include them in the soup
- Serve with a big hunk of good Italian bread.
NOTE – to make this more a hearty soup add half a 400g can of cannellini beans – drained and rinsed, approx 1/2 cup. Warm them in the soup for a few minutes before serving.